i-League 2012-13 Statistics and Facts: Comparison of Foreign vs Indian goalscorers

ABCDFOOTBALL brings the foreign vs Indian comparison in the attacking half in the i-League 2013-14

ABCDFOOTBALL this time brings to you with another unique piece of statistics. This time we concentrate of foreign dominance on the attacking half of i-League teams.

This season of i-League witnessed a total of 520 goals (excluding own goals), but the interesting part is the number of goals scored by foreginers and Indians. Despite the rule of fielding 3 foreigners most clubs have chosen to put the major chunk of the foreign quota to the attacking department. 287 goals have been scored by foreigners which means around 55% of total goals scored by them leaving the Indians with 45% of the goals.

The pie-chart showing the foreign dominance of goalscorers in the i-League 2012-13


Lets have a look how the Indians and foreign goalscoring chart looks separately.

The top goalscoring foreigners:
Club
Player
Goals
Prayag United
Ranti Martins
26
Mohun Bagan
Odafa Okolie
19
East Bengal
Chidi Edeh
18
Pune FC
James Moga
16
Churchill Brothers
Henri Antchouet
14
Churchill Brothers
Beto
13
Dempo SC
Ryuiji Sueoka
11
SC Goa
Ogba Kalu
11
Mohun Bagan
Tolgay Ozbey
10
Churchill Brothers
Akram Moghrabi
10
Mumbai FC
Yusif Yakubu
10

The top goalscoring Indians:
Club
Player
Goals
Prayag United
CK Vineeth
7
Dempo SC
Joaquim Abhranches
6
Dempo SC
Peter Carvalho
6
Salgaocar
Francis Fernandes
6
Churchill Brothers
Binesh Balan
6
Dempo SC
Clifford Miranda
5
Pune FC
Izumi Arata
5
Pailan Arrows
Holicharan Narzary
5
Pailan Arrows
Milan Singh
5
Shillong Lajong FC
Sushil Kumar Singh
5
Pune FC
Jeje
5

The difference seems quite clear with none of the Indians even close to the top scoring goreigners. The ratio of 3.7:1 between the top goalscorer Ranti Martins and the top goal scoring Indian Vineeth CK tells the story itself. It is astonishing to even imagine that no Indian comes at the top 10 list of goal-scorer’s in the i-League 2012-13 season with the first Indian name coming at lowly 14th rank thanks to some heroic efforts by Vineeth CK for Prayag United.

The top four club that have seen the most part of foreign goal scorer dominance are:

CLUB
Foreign Goalscorer ratio
Mohun Bagan
79.48717949
Churchill Brothers
69.09090909
Prayag United
68.51851852
Mumbai FC
61.76470588

McDowell Mohun Bagan relying on the shoulders of their mega signing, Odafa Okolie have found their Indian goalscoers getting least share of goal with foreign quota scoring at a rate of 79.46% (7.9 goals out of every 10 being scored by foreigners). Churchill Brothers, Prayag United and Mumbai FC have all crossed the 60% mark in terms of foreign share of goals scored.

Dempo SC could be credited in this regard despite having one of the bitter i-League campaign with 55%(approximately) goals coming through Indians. Shillong Lajong FC(54%) and Salgaocar FC(53%) also deserves special praise for maintaining a respectable position on the points table and also their Indian players contributing in the attack half. Pailan Arrows being a development side have all Indian scorers meaning cent percent of goals coming from them.

Perhaps one could credit the foreign recruitment policy by the clubs like Churchill who have let the Indian football fans see few of the best foreign recruits in recent times, considering their i-League triumph, but it is a alarming signal to the development of Indian forwards who are not coming though to the big stage. Only Sunil Chhetri have been one name which came up to the height of Bhaichung Bhutia’s calibre but after that it has been in bits and pieces. And with the All India Football Federation(AIFF) increasing the foreign slot from the next season, one can only pray for the future of Indian forwards.


These stats are managed and maintained by me(Debraj Banerjee) and Acham Thavirthan.
We would appreciate if you drop in a comment or feedback. That helps us to serve you better.

Share on Google Plus

About Debraj Banerjee

Hi, I am Debraj Banerjee from Adra, West Bengal. A keen follower of Indian football and always an optimist that the game will get the recognition it truely deserves. What we ask from you is your support and one day the dream might turn true. Fingers crossed for Indian football. Cheers!

Follow Me on Twitter Debraj Banerjee
Post a Comment